One of the best ways to keep your property safe is to keep it lit up at night. There are many exterior lighting options to choose from that are available from a wide variety of sources.
- Standard exterior lighting is highly recommended for security.
- There are motion detector lights
- There are lights with sensors, these lights automatically come on at nightfall, stay lit throughout the night, and then automatically turn off when it gets light out. These types of lights and are my preference. Be sure to use LED bulbs to save money.
- Landscape lighting is also another way to keep the property lit up.
Not only are dogs great companions, but they’re also one thing that the criminal try to avoid at all costs.
- A dog will hear something at 3:00 AM that you won’t. Even small dogs will be at the door barking, alerting you that someone may be outside with ill intent. And the bad guys know that the dog will wake you up, and as far as they you you could walk out with a shotgun.
There are many security system companies to choose from and thanks to technology, you can monitor your own home for smoke & fire or for unwanted entry.
- Personally I like and use Nest.
- Even if you don’t have any kind of security system, put stickers in your windows and signs around the house so someone that may be casing the area will think you have a security system.
- Also put up “Beware of Dog” signs.